Numero Uno

So I have decided to start blogging. How many people start with this one sentence? I predict many. Well like a lamb off to slaughter I will follow them.

I've been told to start with some facts by my boyfriend and future husband (this may seem like gloating but there will be a lot of wedding food related posts to come so it's more just setting the scene) Henceforth he shall be referred to as Monkey.

This blog will regale you all with my cooking trials and tribulations both personal and professional. 

I am the head chef at the Quilliam Brothers Teahouse in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I love my job but you may notice the name - The Accidental Chef - my degree is in Theatre Design. Yep go figure that one. I moved to Newcastle after I met Monkey with the expectation of magically finding that dream job in a theatre or TV studio (Oh my naivity!) but just to pay the bills whilst chasing that dream I got a job in a pub, The Chillingham, to be exact. There I pulled pints, poured wine and opened bottles of beer like a pro. I also ended up moving from the bar to the kitchen. The cook needed a second set of hands and the words that set me on my path were 'I can cook'. It's a bold statement but I figured I was safe because my dad (who himself is a pretty darn good cook and a man who channels Spock by being the most logical person in the room) taught me to cook along with my mum (an awesome home cook and baker), I had survived 3 years at University with a best friend who's idea of a home cooked meal was a tin of meatballs in tomato sauce and kept both myself and her alive on far more balanced fair and I was currently living with Monkey and two other twenty something men and was again keeping us all alive through my culinary skill. Oh and back when I was 17 I worked at Subway. What other qualifications do you need?!?! From the pub I went to Pasqualinos at the Theatre Royal (Oh the irony!) which was a massive learning curve as compared to the pub this was a PROPER kitchen and had it's own resident Gordon Ramsey wannabe. From there to a stint at the Restaurant and Deli at Marks and Spencer and then Quilliams. That brings us up to date.

That, I think, is enough back story for now.

Today I have been making Rye Bread. Why? Why not! Last weekend Monkey decided he wanted to make bread and he made a Monkey original Jalapeno and Bacon bread. This weekend I thought I would try my hand at something I had never made before but love eating. 
Rye Bread originates from Europe and to me is synonymous with Scandinavia and Russia. It is a little malty and a little sour in taste and usually is paired with caraway seeds which are baked in (but which I have omitted on the basis that I could not find them in Morrisons (other supermarkets available but too far and I couldn't be arsed walking to) this morning when I went to buy more treacle because the black treacle I had in my cupboard had apparently gone out of date in 2013 - whoops!). 

Bread making in my house in the winter months is always a challenge as even with the heating on its so damn cold and I have to balance the dough on or next to the radiator to get it to do it's thing. Safe to say that is how I had to play it today and may well explain the slight splooge of the dough on it's second rise - a little to long by the radiator. Next time I bake this recipe I may also add just a smidge more flour and keep you updated to see if this stops the free form splooge.

SPLOOGE ALERT!!!!!!!

Ingredients 
I used Doves Farm Wholemeal Rye Flour mixed with regular strong white flour because rye flour is low in gluten and typically produces a slightly sticky dough. The addition of the strong white flour makes for a lighter loaf. For yeast I used Allinson's Easy Bake Yeast. Traditionally a sour dough starter would be used but sour dough is not an area I have ventured into yet mainly because I am a little afraid of it and because it's a lot of dedication. I have Monkey, two cats and two lizards to take care of and the addition of a living organism in my fridge that I also have to look after is something I can do without at this moment in time. That said it is something I want to try in the future. I nearly used fresh yeast I have some in the freezer (yes fresh yeast actually freezes very well) for when I make bread because the flavour is just phenomenal but it really should be defrosted slowly before use and patience is just not one of my virtues on a Sunday morning. Rye loaves also traditionally have some sort of sugar added to sweeten the bread. In this recipe I used Black Treacle for the flavour but also to heighten the rich brown colour of the loaf. I also glazed the loaf in the last 5 minutes of baking with Maple Syrup to give it a beautiful sheen and because I LOVE MAPLE SYRUP!!

I made this loaf in my Kitchen Aid because it is a recent addition to my kitchen (thank you again Monkey and Mum and Dad for this fine Christmas present!) and I love finding just about any excuse to use it. That said I am a strong believer of knowing what bread dough should feel like so I always give it a bit of a push around on the work surface (oiled not floured) before I leave it to prove.


DARK RYE LOAF

400g Wholemeal Rye Flour
200g Strong White Flour
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Salt
30g Black Treacle
400ml Warm Water
2 tbsp Oil

Oven 220*C/Fan 200*C/Gas Mark 7


  • In a bowl mix together the flours, sugar, yeast and salt.
  • Stir the treacle into the water until dissolved.
  • If using a stand mixer get the mixture moving with the dough hook on a slow speed and then slowly add the oil and the treacle liquid. Once everything is incorporated pump the speed up to medium and let it work the dough for 3-5 minutes. If making the dough by hand make a well in the centre of the dry mix in a bowl and slowly pour in the oil and treacle liquid bringing the dry mix from the edges into the centre. When you have a rough dough tip it out onto your counter and bring together until you have a smooth ball of dough. Knead for about 5-10 minutes. I tend to oil my surfaces now rather than flour them as I used to be a bit over zealous with the flour and this results in a firmer dough when with bread generally wetter is better. I also oil my hands to stop the dough sticking to me.
  • Once you have a nice smooth dough pop it in an oiled bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm to rise until doubled in size normally at least an hour but if you live in a fridge like me it may take much longer.
  • Once the dough has doubled pop it back out on your oiled counter and knock it back and give it a good knead for about 5 minutes.
  • Make sure at this point that you start pre-heating your oven. Place the dough in a 1kg/2lb oiled loaf tin or free form into a ball or log shape on an oiled tray and leave to rise again until nearly doubled in size (at least 45 minutes)
  • Bake in your pre-heated oven for 40/45 minutes. If you want a glazed loaf like mine in the last 5 minutes of baking take out the loaf and brush with maple syrup or honey. Put it back in the oven.
  • Once baked take out and place on a wire rack to cool or wrap in a clean towel (this stops the crust getting too hard and leaves you with a firm but chewy crust)


If only the internet could let you have a sniff guys and dolls this bread smells bloody amazing even if it's not a looker!!!

Comments

  1. I found a sample sitting on the kitchen top this morning so i took it. lovely texture. The sweet syrup is a nice touch

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts