Coconut Rice Pudding



When I was little my mum was always queen of cakes and puddings in our house. She also cooked the meals throughout the week whilst my dad worked. My dad always cooked at the weekend though. His Thai Green Curry and Kedgeree are two of my favourite dishes in the whole world. I only really remember my dad ever making two or three desserts which are creme caramel and rice pudding and I think somewhat distantly profiteroles. My memories of the first two however are strong and they were always made with some ceremony. This one is for you dad.

A proper baked rice pudding is, in my opinion, nothing like what you get in tins or in little pots from the chiller isle and it is one hundred times better. I like mine baked quite set and then I can add extra milk or cream to it when it is served. It's also fairly traditional to serve it with a (generous) spoonful of jam. I know many peoples favourite bit of a rice pudding is the skin that forms on the top. You don't get that with this recipe but the coconut shavings that you put on at the end toast beautifully and give you that beautiful contrasting texture.



You can use pretty much any short grain rice here but I would recommend either pudding rice or arborio (what you would use for a risotto). Short grain rice is starchier and in the same way as it does with a risotto gives you a creamier finished dish although I can't lie the milk and cream do help!
I have given the traditional rice pudding here an exotic twist with addition of the coconut in it's various forms. Each adding to its smell, texture and taste. If you want to make the dish healthier you can use light coconut milk and swap the cream out for more milk but I think you deserve a treat!!

Whilst this is technically a pudding far be it from me to tell you when you can eat this. I know for a fact that it is absolutely delicious as a breakfast and because it sets after it has baked I quite happily eat a slice of this cold! If you do prefer a softer rice pudding I have noted where to add any additional liquid in the recipe below.




COCONUT RICE PUDDING
Serves 6

Ingredients

200g Short Grain Rice (Pudding or Arborio)
400g Coconut Milk
400g Milk
200g Cream
55g Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Paste
20g Desiccated Coconut
15g Coconut Shavings
Unsalted Butter for greasing



  • Preheat oven to 150°c. Grease an oven proof dish liberally with butter.
  • In a large jug or bowl combine all the ingredients apart from the coconut shavings and stir well.
  • Pour everything into your buttered dish and stir gently to make sure the rice is in an even layer on the bottom of the dish.
  • Place in the dish, uncovered, in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes stirring every half hour or so. Depending how you like your rice pudding you can add an extra 100-200ml of milk to make it your desired consistency.
  • Sprinkle over the coconut shavings and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the shavings are a lovely golden brown.
  • Serve immediately. This is delicious served with some warmed mixed berries and an extra drizzle of cream.





For more images of my cooking adventures and sneak peaks of what's to come on the blog follow me on Instagram @_cooknoevil_

Comments

Popular Posts