Granola Bars



Howdy folks! Sorry it's been a while. Since I last wrote we've had birthdays (I hit the big 3-0h no), then my second in command came down with a bad case of broken leg, then Monkey man and me got hitched (I have a couple of posts for you on that and catering your own wedding!) and then to top it off all my staff went off to chase their dreams at the same time so I had to hire a whole new team and get them trained before I could go on honeymoon and I am currently sat in a flat in Amsterdam finishing this post up SO you may notice a few time discrepancies from when I first started writing this post to now when I'm actually getting to finish it! Extra smug points if you do!

Let's go back in swirly whirly time wimey.......

I haven't had much free time BUT I am enjoying a day to myself (and I say enjoying despite the hoover dying on me this morning which required me taking it apart, searching the house for the spare belt, that I of course could not find for love nor money, and then putting the hoover back together again and having to have a Silkwood shower to rid myself of all the dust!) and so I come to write to you.





Ingredients

Now I have called these Granola Bars but they actually fall somewhere between granola and cereal bars because of the combination of Wheat Puffs, Rice Puffs, Oats and Desiccated Coconut. Ruddy tasty either way. You could use whatever you have in your cupboard. Cheerios or cornflakes would work equally as well. You can let your imagination go wild as to what you mix together in these. This batch had a combination of Cranberries, Sultanas and Dates because that's what I had in but the previous batch I had some sour cherries and dried berries - lush! To bind it all together you have to be a little bit naughty but because we have a wedding dress to get into in 3 months not too naughty. Sugar, Maple Syrup, Golden Syrup and Coconut Oil will do the job. This doesn't make quite the same sort of caramel as it would if you used butter the coconut oil separates if you don't work quickly but it is delicious and not as heavy as say a flapjack. You can still believe that it is actually good for you (you know because of the maple syrup being a unrefined natural sugar and the coconut oil is totally all the rage these days!)


Granola Bars

60g Rice Puffs
20g Wheat Puffs
100g Oats
20g Desiccated Coconut
150g Sugar
80g Maple Syrup (or Honey)
80g Golden Syrup
100g Coconut Oil
70g Sultanas
60g Cranberries
80g Chopped Dates



  • Firstly combine the sugar, syrups and coconut oil in a pan and heat until they all melt and come together and begin to bubble.

























  • Meanwhile combine all the dry goods,








  • When the syrup is bubbling whisk quickly to make sure it is all combined, being careful not to splash any (it's hot sugar after all and that will hurt!). Pour it over the cereals and dried fruit and combine quickly. I find that a greased silicon spatula is ideal for this as it doesn't stick.#


  • Pour the mix into lined baking tins and flatten to an even layer. 







  • Refrigerate and allow to set (about 20/30 minutes will do the trick). Once set cut into bars and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts